Grab a ticket and some popcorn for our picks to the top games and sports events across Houston in May 2023.
In May, the Astros carry on with the early regular season, kicking off multiple Monday-to-Wednesday series, plus the Dash and Dynamo make stops at home to defend their turf.
We’ve rounded up the top highlights of this month’s sporting schedule, but you can find more on the 365 Houston calendar.
Top 12 Sports Games in Houston This Month: May 2023
- Houston Astros vs. San Francisco Giants at Minute Maid Park | Monday, May 1 to Wednesday, May 3 – The champs are hosting the Giants in the Juicebox to start the week, offering a free fanny pack to the first 10,000 on Monday and a Jose Altuve World Series ring on Wednesday. $22 and up, but you may find cheaper, better, or hard-to-get seats on the ticket resale market. Times vary.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. Real Salt Lake at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, May 6 – La Naranja are hosting a squad of salty fellas from Utah for a Saturday evening match. $15 and up. 7:30pm.
- Lone Star Cup at Houston Polo Club | Sunday, May 7 – The spring polo season keeps rolling on, with this pony-versus-pony event, complete with a best dressed gent contest, prizes by Dos Hombres, player parade, Champagne divot stomp at halftime, and more. $35; $15.50 for ages 12 and under. Boxes for 2 to 20 guests range from $89 to $895. 5pm.
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. El Paso Chihuahuas at Constellation Field | Tuesday, May 9 to Sunday, May 14 – The lil’ dogs from El Paso come to hang out in Sugar Land this week while the Space Cowboys get to work. The first 2,000 fans through the gates will go home with a Jose Altuve World Series ring on Friday, or an orange Jeremy Peña replica jersey on Saturday. $9 and up. Times vary.
- Houston Dash vs. Portland Thorns FC at Shell Energy Stadium | Friday, May 12 – The reigning NWSL champs come to town for a tough battle on the Dash home pitch. $10 and up. 7:30pm.
- GCVA Beach Volleyball Tournament at Galveston’s East Beach | Saturday, May 13 – The first of seven summer tournament days, this annual beach tourney sees men’s, women’s and coed teams taking to the nets along East Beach for a full day of sand volleyball. Free to watch; registration is $70 per team (some requirements apply). Check-in at 7:30am; games from 9am to 5pm.
- Houston Sabercats vs Seattle Seawolves at Aveva Stadium | Saturday, May 13 – The Sabercats meet a rugby rival from the Western Conference when the Seawolves come clinking through Aveva Stadium in South Houston. $15 and up. 5pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Chicago Cubs at Minute Maid Park | Monday, May 15 to Wednesday, May 17 – The Cubbies come to Space City for a visit with the reigning champs. All fans in attendance on Wednesday will be taking home a Framber Valdez World Series ring. $35 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Dash vs. San Diego Wave at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, May 20 – Alex Morgan and her squad from San Diego arrive in H-Town for a showdown in EaDo. $10 and up. 7:30pm.
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. Salt Lake Bees at Constellation Field | Tuesday, May 23 to Sunday, May 28 – The Bees come buzzing through Sugar Land for a week-long series with promotions up for grabs to the first 2,000 fans, including a Framber Valdez World Series ring on Friday, a JJ Matijevic bat flip bobblehead on Saturday, and a Space Cowboys Flying Fortress Military jersey on Sunday. $9 and up. Times vary.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs Austin FC at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, May 27 – This Texas rivalry adds another showdown to its recent history, when the green-and-black pay the Dynamo a visit. $25 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Minnesota Twins at Minute Maid Park | Memorial Day, Monday, May 29 to Wednesday, May 31 – Carlos Correa and the Twins return to Minute Maid for a three-game weeknight series that kicks off on Memorial Day, and also includes Tuesday’s Dollar Dog night and a Cristian Javier World Series replica ring giveaway to all fans on Wednesday. $20 and up. 7pm.